Monday, August 25, 2008

It's official!

I am officially a Peace Corps Volunteer. Last Wednesday, I swore-in as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Moldova and the same day I moved to my permanent village, XXXXX, in the north of Moldova. Well, let me tell you... this is a VIL-LAGE! They say there are about 5,000 people living here, but I don't see them. Maybe once school starts, that will change, but right now, it's like Ghost Town, USA... except not USA, obviously. I keep walking around the village trying to get situated and people keep talking to me in Romanian, and I really do try to talk back, but half the time I just end up saying "Imi pare rau, nu inteleg" which means, "I'm sorry, I don't understand." It's funny because while I don't know anyone in this village, they all seem to know me. At first I was confused and thought, well, I must stick out being the only American that lives here, but apparently I was on TV too and everyone keeps saying they saw me on TV. You see, at our swearing-in ceremony there were many TV crews, and apparently I made the 10:00 broadcast! :) Plus, the whole interview was in Romanian. What, what!

Ok, so otherwise, not much is going on. The relatively fast pace of PST is over and I am... bored! For the past two days, I've walked around, read books, ate with my host family, talked to some people from home in my backyard and... well, that's it. Not much to do. This is going to take a lot of getting used to. Although, I'm sure once school starts on September 1, things will start to pick up.

All in all, I'm still very excited about everything, although the prospect of doing this for 2 years is all of a sudden starting to seem kind of scary. I'm sure I'll do it, but I could see how the bore and loneliness might get to me. I'll just have to keep myself busy.

In other news, nothing. Yeah, I don't really have other news unfortunately. A lot has happened, but nothing too special. I don't have access to internet that much anymore (hence the long wait to post), but there is a little library where I can use the internet for a small fee, so I will likely do that every now and then.

No comments: