Monday, July 28, 2008

What's new and what's funny...

Ok, so that last post was heavy. Therefore, it's time to discuss something a little more lighthearted.

Here is a list of some things that I find funny in Moldova:

*Every time an airplane passes by in the sky (about once a week), my host family looks up like the end of the world is about to happen.
* For some weird reason, Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do (I Do it For You)" is huge in Moldova now. (A little late, right?)
* A couple weeks ago, I helped my host brother wash the family car while listening to that "Applebottom Jeans" song, and literally every time the lyric came up, my brother got "low, low, low, low, low, low, low" while still diligently scrubbing the exterior.
* I continue to screw up my language. I have now said the following phrases at least a few times in regular conversation: 1) I gave birth to myself in 1983; 2) Every morning for breakfast, I eat myself; and 3) May I please armchair the computer? (The verb "folosi" means "to use" and the noun "fotoliu" means "armchair". Confusing, right?)
* Two days ago, my host brother literally took an hour to buzz my head and would not stop saying "des, des, des" the whole time. ("Thick, thick, thick")
* Most Moldovans believe that if there is a strong current inside (i.e. - if you have the window and the door open at the same time) you will get sick. During practice school last week in my 7th grade class, I opened the door to describe the verb "to pull" and this action was returned with "INCHIS USA, MR. MIKE!!!!!" which means "CLOSE THE DOOR!" (And yes, I go by Mr. Mike ... it's easier for the kids and I think it's kind of funny.)
* My efforts to eat more are going unnoticed. My host mother continues to talk behind my back to other host mothers of other volunteers about how I don't eat enough. The other day, I forced down 5 sausages, a bowl of pasta, sheep's stomach, 3 glasses of juice and 2 servings of tomato and cucmber salad and when I said "Gata!" (finished) I got 2 more sausages and more pasta. (Side note: I do love my host mom though. She's great!)
* Since I've been here, I have a secret strategy for getting rid of food I absolutely cannot stomach. When somebody leaves the kitchen, I immediately wrap the piece of food up in a paper towel and put it in my pocket. After dinner, I go to use the outhouse and drop the food down into the abyss. (Although, don't get the wrong idea here either. The food is actually quite good. Sheep stomach just starts to get to a guy though.)

That's all the funny news I have to report now. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God!!

You are too much! First I read something very heavy about where life puts you and then you crack me up with "funny" anecdotes.

Funny how in Moldova Moms care about how much their kids are eating just like here! Ha Ha!

You are so very witty and I look forward to reading these excerpts like you would not believe.

Very very funny.

Love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

oh man - "the current"! i left Moldova four years ago, and not getting enough air flow still haunts me to this day! i can't wait to take my husband to Moldova and have him experience first hand what i've described to him - people packed like sardines on a crowded rutiera in the dead of summer, and no one will let you open a damn window! i begged my host father to take the nails out of the windows in my room so i could open two windows (on opposite sides of the room) and get some "current." i told him that Americans are immune to the dangerous current. in the end, he just hung his head and obliged...

RPCV Moldova 10

Anonymous said...

Hey
I just came across your blog. Hope it's ok.
I've been on and off entertaining myself (in the good way) by reading blogs of peace corps volunteers in Moldova since 2006. It's very englightning sometimes, even if I was born in Moldova. Why don't you give the food to the dog/animals?
Good luck in everyhting. May you need anything, you can email @ cris0984@gmail.com. Don't worry, I don't need anything from you. I just know it's nice to know more people when you are abroad.
Take care
Cristina