Thursday, July 17, 2008

Teacher Wish List

Wow, you look EXCELLENT today... okay, I admit it - I want something from you (although I'm sure you are looking amazing!)

Today we had a session with some current volunteers who are teachers about limited resources in the classroom. Now, I have worked with limited resources before, but it's looking pretty bad over here in terms of securing things that can't be bought in country.

So, I was hoping that my friends and family could help out! I've prepared a small wish list of things that I would love to have as a teacher starting in September. Many of these things are very cheap and light weight, so wouldn't be too expensive to send. Also, many of my friends who are still teachers or who have recently finished will find that many of these things don't even need to be bought - if you're no longer using those teacher supplies, send them my way!

So here it is:

*Maps of America/any US state (these are free at AAA!)
*Postcards from any state (You can just send these with a message on the back for me for under a dollar- talk about super cheap!)
*Take out menus (these are great tools for English learners - Chinese takeout, Mexican takeout - kids over here apparently get VERY excited about these)
*Markers (preferably Mr. Sketch since they last long and smell fantastic!)
*Dry erase markers
*Masking tape
*Notecards
*Ziploc bags
*Any old magazines (I can catch up on celebrity gossip or world politics, then use them to cut out pictures and articles and students can read them to practice using their language.)
*Sticky-tack
*Playing Cards/UNO
*Chalk/Colored Chalk
*Pocket charts (incredible for teaching grammar! You teachers know what I'm talking about - send me old ones!)
*Used books in English (not like Sound and the Fury- remember, these kids are learning English. Think Harry Potter, Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird.)
*Posters with grammar rules (again, teachers know what I'm talking about)
*The comics section from the Sunday paper
*Holiday decorations
*Pictures of American landscapes
*PICTURES OF YOU! I want to be able to show my students pictures of my friends and family and show them where they live on a map. Plus, I miss you! :)
*Weird request - laminated white pieces of printer or construction paper, plus small white board markers. (These will help my students form sentences over and over again and be able to correct mistakes without starting over.)

If you have other ideas - they're probably great! Send that too!

Anything and everything will be appreciated. I am very excited to start teaching again - and this time in a totally different way. I know many people feel that teaching English to students in a foreign country may be like a modern form of Imperialism. I get that - but I have also been in this country now for more than a month and see how English offers more opportunities for its citizens. I think as Americans, it is easy to take for granted that our native language is the most widely used professional language in the world. For Moldovans, English opens doors to new opportunities and sometimes survival for a family.

I miss everyone very much and hope your summers are going amazingly well! Eat lots of watermelon for me! :)

No comments: