Monday, July 7, 2008

Quick update

At last, I have some time to actually type an entry in real time. Today, classes ended early. We had language classes from 8:30am to 1:00pm and now we are finished for the day. We are supposed to do what is called "SDA", which means Self Directed Activity - but there's a loose definition to what that really means. After all, I am "self-directing" myself to do this "activity" of writing this entry right now. Works for me!

The language is coming by slowly. Today, we rehearsed a dialogue to use with our school directors when we meet them. "M-am nascut in anul 1983. In 2004, eu am absolvit universitatea privata in America. Dupa universitate, eu am lucrat doi ani profesor la scoala." That translates to "I was born in 1983. In 2004, I graduated from college in America. After college, I worked for two years as a teacher." Like I said, slowly coming along.

Tomorrow after our full day of classes, we find out our permanent site. For those of you who do not know, I am in my current village only for 10 weeks (I'm at week #4 right now) for training. Then, after the 10 weeks, I move to my permanent site for 2 years, which I will find out tomorrow. This weekend, I go to my permanent site to check it out and basically stay with 2-3 different families before deciding which family I want to live with for the next 2 years. It's exciting, but nerve-wracking as well, given my limited grasp of Romanian. Exactly how do you ask somebody details about their outhouse without really knowing the language. From a previous post, you can tell that that topic is important to me.

Anyway, all in all, everything is good here. I am having fun and learning a lot. I am excited to finally be teaching again and I'm sure everything will fall into place once I start actually working with students again. So excited for that.

Well, that's really all I can think of to post right now. Figures that when I get the time, I can't think of what to say. Hope everyone is well.

No comments: