Tuesday, October 21, 2008

No on Prop. 8

Dear California residents,

I've just received some pretty dismal news. A friend of mine just emailed me and said it looks like Proposition 8 (the propisition to ban gay marriage) is going to pass in the upcoming election. Frankly, I'm disappointed. Call me naive, but I haven't even been checking up on the progress of this proposition because I just assumed that most residents of such a great state would never allow such ridiculousness to happen. Imagine my surprise when I received this email. It is sad news for me personally and obviously very sad news for those people who have already rightly taken advantage of their recent right to get married in California.

I can only plead with you to vote in order to turn this into some good news. As I sit here living in a country where freedom is not a guaranteed right for individuals, I question if my own country is much better for not granting me the freedom to marry if I so choose. Oppression is the worst form of injustice because it fosters hate and even indifference . Please don't justify voting "Yes" on this proposition by resting on religious laurels. You insult the many religious people who recognize the modern injustice of this proposition and will vote accordingly.

I hope to one day have a family that is just as valid and fair as the one my sister has recently started. It seems unfair that this dream is not in my hands; it rests in your hands. And you can do something about it.

3 comments:

Calisa Hildebrand said...

Excellent post! So glad you wrote it. Couldn't agree with you more and am keeping my hopes up that it doesn't pass. be glad you can't see the tv commercials- they are nauseating.

Traci said...

Believe you me the Yes on 8 campaign has me physically ill. I can't believe in this day in age we are repeating the same bigotry we did several decades ago.

Calisa Hildebrand said...

Ok so I'm watching the results from the propositions come in now and it's not looking good for 8. I can't believe it. wtf?! how could this happen? I'm so angry. Anyways, I thought your post about it was written so well that in my anger, I quoted you. I thought you should know. I'm still praying that it doesn't pass.