Monday, June 9, 2008

Staging complete!

I have officially finished the first part of being a future Peace Corps Volunteer. Today was our last day of "staging" in Philadelphia, which is basically just an introductory period where we meet each other and learn about policies and practices of Peace Corps (all you Teach For America folks - think induction.) It was actually pretty nice. The hours were tame as compared to all of those TFA institute hours, but the time was well spent and were really given a great introduction to the program and country. 

Now that the first step is over, it's time to get to Moldova. My flight leaves tomorrow night at 9:35 pm and we fly through Frankfurt, Germany to Chisinau, Moldova (the capital city) and arrive at around 6:20pm (Moldova time) on Wednesday. It's going to be a full day of traveling and I have a feeling I'm going to be exhausted. However, our group was informed that we'll need to look our best when we get off the plane, because rumor has it that TV stations, radio stations and newspaper journalists will all be there representing the Moldovan media and reporting on our arrival. Apparently we're kind of a big deal in Moldova.

Again, I am unsure when you'll hear from me next. I'm still in America, so internet access is pretty easy to find. However, once I get to Moldova, things will likely become increasingly difficult when it comes to finding an internet cafe or something of the like. The next time I have internet though, I promise I'll update!

Until then... la revedere (la rev-uh-dare-ay)! 

That means "goodbye" in Romanian, by the way. :) 

4 comments:

pharaon said...

Hello, Michael!

Welcome to my country. You will see that's not so bad here as you learned during your stages (I guess it was like that, because mostly of Peace Corps volunteers coming here expect that the conditions will be worst than in Africa).

Internet cafes there are many, and the internet is even cheaper than in US. So, you won't have troubles with making updates on your blog. If you are going to live in some village, there could be a problem with the access to Internet, because there are usually not more than 1-2 public points of access. But, in anycase, you can connect everywhere in Moldova for 24 USD and have a 115Kb/s of speed.

Enjoy your volunteership.

PS. During your time in Moldova you can find on Moldova in The World website what are thinking the foreigners about this country.

Anonymous said...

You will be great! I cant wait to hear how everything is. Tara and I are thinking about you and hope all travels are safe and smooth. Dont take candy from strangers!

Unknown said...

Love you MM! You are such a clever and brave fellow, I know everything will go well ;)

Meanwhile, I have a new address!! More to show off than because I expect mail from Moldova, here it is...

Claire Brown
262 10th Ave. #4
San Francisco, CA 94118

Yay! Miss you already. Will keep reading;)

Anonymous said...

hey neighbs!!! you are so important! i hope to see you on the front page of a moldovan newspaper. haha. or they may mistake you for justin timberlake...muahaha. i MISS you! i'll be checking your blog from argentina next week!WEEEEEEEEEEEEED :)