Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Quick update

Buna ziua, faithful readers! I was going to apologize for my tardiness with posts again, but then I realized I do that with almost every entry. I'm sure by now, you expect this and understand why.

Things are good. I'm feeling more comfortable in my village. The Romanian is coming along at a better speed now and I am able to communicate with just about everyone (except old men, for some reason - I think because they don't pronunciate and throw a lot of Russian words in their sentences.) My body has completely adjusted to the eating patterns of Moldova and my back has adjusted to my thousand-year-old twin bed. Teaching is progressing - the second graders hug me everyday, the 10th graders are surprisingly receptive, and I have to answer the question "How are you?" at least 50 times a day to kids walking around the halls or in the village.

I cannot believe it is already December. This month marks 6 months in Moldova for me. It is a certainly bittersweet time - I am so happy to be experiencing all these new things, but I love to be with my family for the holidays. I do have a pretty fantastic vacation to look forward to though. On December 26th, I leave for Budapest, Hungary for a few days, then will take a train trip through Romania and the Carpathian Mountains (where they filmed the movie, Cold Mountain), and check out Bucharest and stay in the mountain town of Brasov. Hopefully, some skiing, drinking, eating wonderful food and laughing with friends will occur.

I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving! Happy Holidays. Good luck decorating trees, preparing for feasts and shopping!

No comments: