Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's been a long time!

And I don't have too much to write for today. Unfortunately, my access to internet is limited to about a half hour every week in this little library that has 3 computers with internet access in my village. And updating your blog becomes less and less appealing when there are 14 year old girls who are pretending to use their cell phones, but instead are (not so) stealthily taking pictures of you and giggling in Romanian because they think you don't understand. Too bad for them, I understand most everything they say. Girls are silly.

Everything is great. It's freezing here already - wearing scarves and big coats, but it's still beautiful. Have started teaching and it's going well. Definitely living the village life. I pass by hens, sheep, and cows each day when I walk to work. And, there's a cow that's pretty much tied to a chain staked in the middle of the soccer stadium. It's funny, because every Sunday there are soccer (Europeans read "football") games there and usually it's the goalies who will lead the cow to one side of the field while their teammates practice.

I currently live in a room that is about 8 ft. x 8 ft. It's super small. My host family is very kind, but they are still pretty shy around me (and I them). Our water goes off about twice a week, so showers happen maybe twice a week, if lucky. But that's normal here. I'm eating a lot of potatoes, soup and goulash, and I have a feeling that these will be my main courses through winter time as well. I've already lost 20 pounds since being here, but to be here, I gained about 10 before coming here from all the pigging out I did in Seattle and California, so it's not too much of a loss. I look pretty normal.

Thanks to all of you who check periodically and leave comments, even though I am not nearly as consistent as I was with updating. I will try my hardest. Life without TV, internet, or running water (2 days out of the week) has been challening at times, but I surprisingly don't miss any of them too much. You just get used to your situation.

Well, that's all for now. Keep sending me emails to let me know you're still out there. Miss everyone!

1 comment:

TD said...

Hi Mike...

Just a quick note to say hello and that we, the Buzz (and I, the coach) miss you. We look forward to a time when we can raise a glass to you again and listen as you befuddle us with your Romanian...

Ciao,
'Coach' David