Monday, May 19, 2008

Make some lists... check!

I went to the grocery store with my mom and sister yesterday and I couldn't help but look at different foods on the shelves and predict how in a matter of months I will likely be craving them and desperately missing them. So, I asked my mom for a pen and paper and as we continued the boring routine of gathering the week's necessities, I jotted down a few things that I would love to find in care packages. 

- Strawberry fruit leathers
- Nature Valley Oats 'N Honey granola bars
- Cheez-its
- Saltines
- Baked beans (I know it's weird)
- Seasonings (Taco seasoning, etc.)
- Lemonade mix
- Honey
- Gum

I'm sure I can find some of this stuff in Moldova, but I still couldn't help but think about it all. In a few weeks, I will be in a foreign country thousands of miles away, eating unknown delicacies and drinking homemade wine.

And now I've been making lists left and right. I made a list today in the bookstore of books that I want to make sure to bring with me. Then, I went home and wrote a bunch of tasks that need to be completed before leaving on the back of a napkin. There are also numerous index cards floating around the house outlining packing lists, things to buy, and music to upload. 

Preparing to leave the country for a couple of years seems like it would be a daunting task. However, I've found everything to be pretty simple so far. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not scared or nervous yet at all about leaving. I'm excited, but I'm totally calm and collected about the whole thing. 

Who knows, maybe I'm just in some weird sort of denial. Whatever it is or isn't, I'll just keep making lists and checking them off as I prepare to start living my life how I want it to be lived. 

No comments: